BIOMELT® S Anti-Icing / Deicing Fluid
BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid is a natural, agricultural
product blended with sodium chloride liquid that features ice control
performance equal or superior to traditional brines, but less corrosive.
BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid is derived from renewable
resources providing an attractive choice where environmental concerns
||9.8 pounds per gallon
BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid is highly effective for
anti-icing, deicing, and prewetting. The suggested usage levels
should be considered as starting points and should be adjusted as
needed based on operator experience and to meet local conditions
such as current and expected road and air temperatures, precipitation,
traffic volume, etc.
- Apply to 20 to 30 gallons per lane mile. For sidewalks and parking
lots, apply 1 fluid ounce per square yard.
- Apply in a configuration to give large droplets in a manner
to adequately cover target surfaces in the recommended rate given
for Pre and Post use.
- Begin application when the pavement temperature is expected
to drop to 32°F or below, ideally as precipitation is beginning.
- Prevents ice and snow from sticking to the pavement, making
- Lowers maintenance costs be reducing applications/quantities
- No dust-causing abrasives needed.
- Apply 40 gallons per lane mile depending upon accumulation.
For sidewalks and parking lots, apply 2 fluid ounces per square
- Stream apply. Do not fan spray or mist.
- Allow to penetrate accumulation then plow as usual.
- Starts thawing immediately. No sunshine needed.
- Eats through hardpack to spread along the pavement.
- Breaks the bond between the ice and snow and the roadway.
- Makes removal easier.
- No dust-causing abrasives needed.
- Apply at 5 to 10 gallons per ton at the spinner or directly
to the salt/sand during loading.
- Enhances the deicing performance of dry salt/sand.
- Starts the deicing process immediately.
- Reduces bounce and scatter losses during application from 30%
loss down to only 4% loss. Prewetted salt/sand stays on the road.
- Less salt/sand is needed for the same effectiveness.
BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid is supplied ready to use
and is designed as a direct replacement for salt bring in existing
equipment. However, BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid works
at temperatures where salt brine is no longer effective. Anti-icing
performance equal to salt brine can be achieved with less BIOMELT®
S anti-icing/deicing fluid; therefore, fewer gallons are needed
to achieve the same performance as salt brine. That means more lane
miles per truckload with less equipment corrosion.
Freezing Point Depression
1. Effective of Dilution on Freezing Point - BIOMELT®
S anti-icing/deicing fluid has a freezing point of -13.6°F which
is 8.4°F lower than salt brine as show in the following graph
Freezing Point (°F)
BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid not only offers performance
superior to salt brine, but it’s superior anti-icing performance
remains even after subsequent precipitation dilutes the product.
For example, referring to the above graph, when diluted to 65% of
its original strength, BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid still
performs as effectively as freshly applied salt brine.
2. Phase Diagram – refer to the following
graph for a phase diagram of BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid,
NaCI brine, and CaCI2 brine.
In addition to its superior ice-melting performance, BIOMELT®
S anti-icing/deicing fluid is more viscous than salt brine, particularly
at reduced temperatures, making it especially suited for anti-icing
applications where runoff is a problem. However, BIOMELT® S
anti-icing/deicing fluid is still fluid enough to flow readily during
application. Viscosity profiles at various temperatures are shown
in the following graph and table.
Testing has shown BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing fluid to be
30% less corrosive than salt brine. BIOMELT® S anti-icing/deicing
fluid can be an effective part of your corrosion control programs.
and recommendations in this publication are, to the best of the
seller’s knowledge, accurate. However, because of numerous
factors affecting test results, seller makes no warranty of any
kind, express or implied, other than the product conforms to its
applicable current standard specifications. Statements concerning
the use of the products or formulations described herein are not
to be construed as recommending the infringement of any patent.